3 cups (or 12 medium to large) Brussel sprouts
1 1/2 cups Tuscan kale (ribs removed), sliced into 1/4″ ribbons
2 1/2 cups Mutsu Crispin apples cut into matchsticks
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Pepper to taste
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 Tbsp golden raisins
2 Tbsp pistachios (shelled)
1/3 cup orange juice
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp extra virgin oil
1 tsp honey
1. Thinly slice (about 1/8″ thick) Brussel sprouts and place in large bowl.
2. Remove tough ribs from the Tuscan kale and cut into thin ribbons (about 1/4″); combine with Brussels Sprouts.
4. Slice apples into thin slices (about 1/4″ thick) and then cut into 1/4″ thick matchsticks; toss with vegetables.
5. Add salt, nutmeg, and pepper to vegetables and toss thoroughly. Add golden raisins, pistachios and crumbled bacon, and toss together.
Combine orange juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and honey together in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly. Pour dressing over prepared salad and stir well to incorporate. Serve immediately and enjoy.
1. Crispin apples, also known as Mutsu, work well for this salad due to their low browning qualities and mild flavor. Other mild green apples like Golden Delicious and Ginger Gold would also work well.
2. This salad can be made ahead, just reserve the bacon, raisins, pistachios, and vinaigrette and toss in when ready to serve.
Submit your review